Community

I LOST EVERYTHING IN A WILDFIRE

By Huckleberry Press / January 15, 2022 /
first glimpse of fire damage

I had such dreams for this place, til they went up in smoke in the Labor Day, 2020 Whitney Wildfire. But the beauty of my surroundings is still inspiring. There’s a rock outcropping here on my little ranch that I call the South Bluff, which is beautiful at sunset with the sun’s rays warming its dark basalt rock. Then, there’s the big one, the West Bluff, most beautiful at sunrise. It runs along the ranch like a knife has carved out a line, leaving you with no alternative but to obey its boundary. I see them now like I didn’t before the fire.

Read More

Over the river and through the woods to Republic

By Huckleberry Press / January 8, 2022 /

Over the river and through the woods will find you in Republic, Washington! Yes, Republic, a somewhat isolated community nestled in the mountains on the north side of the Columbia River and west of Sherman Pass on SR 20, Republic was known for its gold – and was founded during the days of the gold rush. Along with mining, logging was a big industry here and Vaagen Brothers Sawmill, a major employer.

Read More

Waving for the month of May

By Huckleberry Press / January 7, 2022 /
man waving

I blew in late to my small town Chamber meeting. I knew it might be over by the time I arrived, but I was excited to share something with the group.

Read More

Freelancing: Not For The Faint of Heart (or Wallet)

By Huckleberry Press / January 6, 2022 /
freelancing

I lost my job on a sunny July day in 2017. I was 48, a single mom, and loaded with medical debt. Days before, a tumultuous breakup had left a crater in my life. That one-two punch plunged me into terror and poverty. Though I had a modest savings account, I feared it wouldn’t last.

Read More

Love Letter to my Hometown and my Dad; the Ultimate Santa

By Huckleberry Press / December 24, 2021 /

Maybe it’s the time of year, or the fact that living in Farmington, New Mexico will never feel like home. I’m feeling particularly nostalgic during this holiday season. I’ve never experienced the great Hallmark holiday and I’ve had plenty of Christmases worthy of the Grinch.

Read More

Terri Cooper, The New Mayor of Medical Lake

By Huckleberry Press / December 3, 2021 /
Terri Cooper

Be courageous.” A prominent politician gave this advice to Terri Cooper when Terri shared her intention to run for mayor of Medical Lake. Those two words became an inspiration and propelling force in her decision to run for mayor, contributing to her campaign victory. Terri will reflect on these words often to energize and motivate as she serves her term as mayor of Medical Lake, starting on January 1, 2022.

Read More

Davenport Care and Share Food Bank and Thrift Store

By Huckleberry Press / November 24, 2021 /

Davenport Care and Share Food Bank and Thrift Store is a community based concept that was begun with love and compassion for fellow community members in need. At this time the Food Bank is serving about 900 clients with all of the proceeds from Thrift Store sales going toward buying food to give out.

Read More

Levy on November Ballot for New Kettle Falls Community Pool

By Huckleberry Press / October 15, 2021 /

Residents of Kettle Falls will see a levy on November’s ballot to support funding for the community pool’s annual operating costs. The Upper Columbia Pool District, city council, Friends of the Pool, and Major John Ridlington have facilitated plans to get the Kettle Falls’ pool open and operating.

Read More

Adopted by a Starving Dog

By Huckleberry Press / October 15, 2021 /

It had dropped down to 8 degrees and that short haired, huge dog was still on the loose with no one able to corner him and get him the help he so desperately needed.

Read More

Resocializing Dogs After Covid

By Huckleberry Press / September 16, 2021 /
Roxy the Dog

Many people in 2020 got a dog for company in our bubbles. As the world starts to open up again people are dealing with how to re-socialize their furry little buddies into a world with less social distancing.

Read More