Community

Hearts and Paws: It’s Never too Late to Give Back

By Huckleberry Press / May 13, 2022 /

Many people would agree that the definition of a life well-lived includes knowing you’ve made a positive impact on your world. Many would also agree that the key to happiness is feeling like you’re making the world a better place

Read More

Drive A Golden Spike To Celebrate Railroad Days

By Huckleberry Press / May 12, 2022 /
drive a spike

Spokane was a major hub for a number of railroads in the late 1800’s right up to today. Companies like the Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Burlington Northern, Milwaukee Road, Union Pacific. Spokane International, Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railroads served the area and branched out to almost every community to serve farmers, ranchers and passengers who used railroads as their primary form of transportation and shipping

Read More

Lincoln County Sheriff will not run for re-election

By Huckleberry Press / April 25, 2022 /
Wade Magers

LINCOLN COUNTY – After working a law enforcement career spanning 32 years and serving four terms as Lincoln County Sheriff, Wade W. Magers has chosen to opt out of running for a fifth term.

Read More

Truckloads of faith

By Huckleberry Press / April 18, 2022 /
volunteer

A heart filled with faith and kindness is what drives Gail Lesperance from Spokane to help one of the poorest areas of the United States, the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Lesperance and her support group including family, friends, and other community partners work to fill multiple 26-foot box trucks with donations and then drive them out to Pine Ridge.

Read More

Stitching Together Community

By Huckleberry Press / April 2, 2022 /
Windsong School logo

Nestled on Spokane’s lush Makagawa campus is a dreamy little school. If you’re near the Spokane River trails on any given Friday, you’ll see children from ages 3 to 12, geared up for our inland northwest weather, on their weekly hike down to the River. Rain or shine these children trek, guided by their teachers, to endure the weather and revel in the treasures our area and nature has to offer.

Read More

Turning 64? Be Prepared to start getting a “FLOOD” of Medicare Mail

About the time your 64th birthday has come and gone (maybe a month or so), you will start receiving all kinds of Medicare mail. When you reach 64 ½ at least one piece of mail will arrive daily until your 65th birthday month. (As pictured above and an actual stack of mail collected from a person age 64…).

Read More

Celebrating Reardan football

Tradition runs strong in the Reardan football program, and on April 23 at 6 p.m. the Reardan Booster Club is hosting an event in Smith Gym to invite the community out to celebrate the accomplishments of three coaches over a 50 plus-year span, and welcome the new coach into the position.

Read More

Human Hibernation: The Power of Restorative Rest

By Huckleberry Press / March 12, 2022 /
sleep

Hallelujah! Well, at the time of this writing it’s still February, but by the time you read this it will be March. So, it’s March in my mind. I couldn’t be happier.

Read More

Chinese New Year 2022: The Year of the Tiger

By Huckleberry Press / February 6, 2022 /

Is anyone else ready for spring? I know I am. That’s why I was especially excited to learn from my research that the Chinese New Year is commonly referred to as the Spring Festival, marking the end of winter and the beginning of spring season. Bring on the spring season!

Read More

I LOST EVERYTHING IN A WILDFIRE

By Huckleberry Press / January 15, 2022 /
first glimpse of fire damage

I had such dreams for this place, til they went up in smoke in the Labor Day, 2020 Whitney Wildfire. But the beauty of my surroundings is still inspiring. There’s a rock outcropping here on my little ranch that I call the South Bluff, which is beautiful at sunset with the sun’s rays warming its dark basalt rock. Then, there’s the big one, the West Bluff, most beautiful at sunrise. It runs along the ranch like a knife has carved out a line, leaving you with no alternative but to obey its boundary. I see them now like I didn’t before the fire.

Read More